Saturday, December 31, 2022

My 2022 in Movies/In Memorium

It's been another low-key year in terms of how many new movies I was able to see. Although I'd been trending downward over the last 7 years.
It's also been the most theater trips since 2020, so that's at least something. 

Theatrical Roundup

For 2022, we saw the latest "Fantastic Beasts," "Jurassic World" and "Thor" movies (the first Marvel movie I'd seen in theaters since the end of the Tony Stark era) plus "Buzz Lightyear"...

The Buzz Lightyear movie, I still wouldn't say was as bad as a lot of the critics were hyping it down to be... but it's yet another setback with me and Disney. 
When you compare the Renaissance era to everything that came after Frozen, I'm not only partial to the Disney Renaissance cuz that's literally my childhood. But there's just been too much of this self-aware/self-referential humor, plus the obsession with diversity. 
Again, there's nothing wrong with diversity. But I still feel like it can be done without it being overbearingly obvious. I kinda wish they'd go back to just telling stories and creating memorable characters without making it about some big overarching message. 

Of course I immediately contradict myself by saying I loved how Jurassic World: Dominion was a love letter to the original franchise and everything was tied up really well. If I take any issue (other than the fact none of the kids from either sector of the franchise made cameos), it's the look of the dinosaurs. In 1993, technology was just advanced enough where it felt like a huge feat to bring them to life. 
Now... I can't help but quote Claire in the first Jurassic World movie: "no one's impressed by a dinosaur anymore." 

Fantastic Beasts- the beginning bringing out "Bambi's mom" flashbacks and the political climate of the movie didn't sit well with me, but it was a vast improvement on the previous installment. Despite all the issues with this franchise, I still want it to reach the promised 5th film. 
We can't NOT to do the big duel between Dumbledore and Grindelwald- not after it's been hyped up over three movies and it's one of the biggest moments in wizarding history. 
As of writing this, there are no current plans in the works for the next movie. If they can find a way to write Creedence out of the series (Ezra Miller creating too much bad publicity with his lengthy criminal history), I don't see why they can't. 

Thor: Love and Thunder has more of that self-aware humor I find annoying but the fact I got to a theater for a Marvel movie without Tony Stark and enjoyed it... that's saying a lot. 


Other Standouts in Movies

Looking over the movies I had seen this year, a lot of fond memories are coming back up and that's always a good thing.

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Now I get the reference about the mountain of mashed potatoes... but I'm still a bit annoyed that I fell asleep right before the crucial part at the very end. The part literally explaining the whole invasion.

- Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings

This and Black Widow helped get me back into the Marvel swing. Although I'm still not quite ready to see the other two Spider-Man movies.
This movie was REALLY good. And we've seen it a couple of time since buying the DVD. 

- Love in the Afternoon

One of two Audrey Hepburn movies I saw this year. Kinda reminded me of Breakfast at Tiffany's, but a bit more extreme. I don't know what was more entertaining- the fact she made up all these ex-boyfriends based on her dad's patients, or that quartet that accompanied Gary Cooper on multiple occasions :P 
Might have to go with the quartet. I'd never seen anything like that before and the running gag of it just had me in stitches.

- Dear Evan Hansen

It's no surprise the same person behind "Perks of being a wallflower" directed this movie. Mental health issues, especially in teenagers, isn't talked about nearly enough and both movies are a good look at it. 
On the other hand, other than "You will Be Found," none of the other songs did anything for me. In fact, they were an example of why a lot of people don't like musicals. The whole "breaking up in song" aspect of it was a bit over the top. Most of these conversations could've been done verbally without music and the result would be the same. 
And the big reveal and all the fallout that accompanied it... I found that annoying too. It wasn't entirely Evan's fault that Connor's mom kept hounding him with questions. Unfortunately it's one of those stories where the reason we have it is that a misunderstanding isn't immediately corrected.

- Beach Blanket Bingo

I'd never seen any Frankie and Annette beach movies so I thought this would be a good watch. And I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. It was campy and ridiculous and silly. But it made me appreciate a simpler time. 
It was especially refreshing that their two characters stayed friends despite the multitude of misunderstandings that occurred. 


- Sing 2

Finally got around to seeing this and it was definitely worth the wait. Maybe not as good as the original movie, but it kept me entertained enough that I'll probably watch it just as many times.
It's worth it if only for the final duet of "Still Haven't Found What I"m Looking for." I'm not a U2 fan by any means, but the context how that song was used in the movie, it was a tearjerker. 
Just another reminder of why music is my favorite medium.


- A Star is Born (1954)/Meet me in St. Louis

My only context of Judy Garland was "The Wizard of Oz." Between these two movies, it's impossible to ignore what a treasure she was. She was incredibly talented and beautiful. I don't know everything about her history except that it ended tragically. It's just frustrating and sad how some of the brightest lights in the world have been snuffed out because one or more  persons had them convinced they weren't good enough. 
I still prefer the Lady Gaga version of A Star is Born, only because I like the songs better. In this version, there were several, but none I really found memorable. 


- Jailhouse Rock & Elvis

Speaking of bright lights being snuffed out too early... 
I'd never seen an Elvis movie and it probably won't get much better than "Jailhouse Rock." Great music and he was very likeable. Also, the ending where he sings after an altercation where they thought he might never sing again, I got a little choked up. That goes for a lot of singers with amazing voices that've had medical issues come up in real life. It's awe-inspiring to see them overcome adversity and put doubters to rest. 

Then the Elvis movie- I said my piece on that already so I won't yammer on too long. 
If not for the whole "you probably guessed by now George Bailey never leaves Bedford Falls" situation with him and the Colonel, I probably would've watched it more than once. I just couldn't stomach that another time...  


- Bonnie & Clyde

Two takeaways from this movie. Maybe I should see more of Faye Dunaway cuz she was a cool customer in this movie. And considering how notorious this duo became, it was kinda hilarious to see how well their first job went. It just goes to show we all have to start somewhere.

- In the Heat of the Night


I still need to see "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"... my only experiences with the late great Sidney Poitier were this movie and "To Sir, With Love." Both were equally good.
"They call me Mr. Tibbs" is one of those movie quotes everyone knows so it was kinda cool to get the context behind it. The collaboration between him and the Mississippi law enforcement had its rough patches, but the grace and composure he showed throughout the journey- wow! 


- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Since Inglorious Basterds, I'd seen several Tarantino movies. Pulp Fiction is the other one we see pretty frequently. The whole thing is a cultural phenomenon.
This movie might be my favorite Leo DiCaprio movie, only because he doesn't typically make the type of movies I want to see. Usually too serious or too dramatic. The chemistry between him and Brad Pitt was fun to watch.
Won't give too much away, but between this and "Basterds," Tarantino seems to have a thing for rewriting history... and the way he "scripted" the Manson murders, the end result was something only he could have pulled off


- My Life in Ruins

Anyone who'd seen "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" or is a fan of the rom-com chick flick genre will love this one. It takes a little time to get off the ground, but as soon as you get the backstory behind Richard Dreyfuss's character, it's like the rest of the movie followed suit and fell into place. It was a joy to watch

-Maverick

One of my favorite all-time movies, the sequel had a lot to live up to. 
And it's probably the best realized sequel I'd seen in a long time... REALLY well done


-This is Spinal Tap

My only point of reference was "crank it up to 11." And that it's a rockumentary
I consider myself a big music person and a decent movie buff. Even with all that, I feel like maybe I've missed something. Didn't exactly blow my socks off.

In Memorium

2016 is still the year to beat, but there were a bunch of passings this year that caused a stir. Some a lot worse than others. 
Also gotta say- I'm grateful for my journaling app and that it has a search function. I made a note of a bunch of these as they happened so it makes my job now a little bit easier.
Because there were a lot of names, I'm not going to include everyone in the interest of time. 

Betty White

-technically she passed away in 2021. Not sure if I mentioned it then, but even if I did, it bears repeating. 

Sidney Poitier

-truly a legend as well as a trailblazer. I hadn't seen many of his movies but the few time I had, it felt like he had his own gravitational pull

Julie Powell

-for more, see my "Julie & Julia" post

Kazuki Takahashi

-I did a post on him earlier in the year. He was the genius behind the series "Yu-Gi-Oh!" Yet another reminder of how important it is to give people their flowers while they're still here.

Pat Carroll and Angela Lansbury

-both have connections to Disney movies I grew up with. Pat Carroll also played Miep Gies in "Freedom Writers." Then with the Beauty & the Beast live spectacular, the epitaph they showed at the end for Angela Lansbury... I mean, I was crying the whole night because that movie is super nostaglic for me and I was living in a dream. But seeing her name and having that reminder of her passing, it was a touching tribute.

Jules Bass

-I grew up with Rudolph and Peter Cottontail, so I owe this man for a small sector of my childhood

Clarence Gilyard Jr

-we watch "Die Hard" every year as part of our Christmas. And all that time, I had no idea he also played that small role in Top Gun. The unlucky person who was Maverick's rear after the big accident. He and his charming personality will be missed.

Estelle Harris

-now both of George Constanza's parents are in heaven... makes me kinda wonder what his life would be like after that. Would he be reveling in that freedom? Or would their constant bickering still haunt him from beyond the grave?

Robbie Coltrane

-It bears repeating: it's not Hogwarts without you, Hagrid

Olivia Newton-John

-also worthy repeating: breast cancer can go to hell! 
Seriously, why does cancer always have to pick on the nicest people?

Queen Elizabeth II

-Rest in peace, Royal Highness

Irene Cara and Christine McVie

-the music world lost some great people this year. I grew up with Irene's two big movie anthems. Christine McVie, I only discovered within the last few years. "Got a Hold on me," "Little Lies" and "Everywhere"-- some great songs that've been around for years and I spent most of my life having no idea they existed

Gilbert Gottfried

-him and Robin Williams are among the most iconic personalities out there. 
Aladdin was my first theater movie. Both of these guys were a big part of my childhood and both will be sorely missed. 

Barbara Walters

-News broke just the other day. A legend in the world of journalism and a trailblazer for female journalists everywhere.
Right now, the one thing that comes to mind for me was her interviewing Lady Gaga for her "most fascinating people" segment and drawing attention to a certain lyric in "Poker Face" that went over my head for ages

Leslie Jordan

-I love the show "Call Me Kat" and that's my own connection with Leslie. He lit up the room every time he walked in.
The most insane part of all this... he's quite possibly had the busiest afterlife of anyone in show business. He was adored so much by FOX that other shows kept asking him to appear on them. Aside from "Call Me Kat" (all which had been filmed before his unfortuante accident), he was a guest judge on "The Masked Singer," took part in the Celebrity Lego Masters Bricktacular and at least one other thing I'm forgetting. It was the bizarrest thing, but I loved every minute of it. 

Aaron Carter

-earlier this month would've been his 35th birthday... I wasn't a huge fan of his music, but the fact he was a regular personality that was around during my formative bubblegum pop years and him only being a year younger than me, that was a gut punch

Jason David Frank and Twitch

-When the news broke that both of the guys died by suicide... I think it's a fair statement that the shock still hasn't wore off and I don't think it ever will.

I grew up with Jason on Power Rangers during the first iteration (imo, the only iteration that really matters) of the franchise. The series inspired me to take karate, during which, I actually met him one day he taught a special class... something I know happened but sadly have no memory of. Every class, we recite 7 different tenents that we are to take with us beyond the dojo. Integrity, Concentration, Perservence, Self-Control, Respect, Humility, Indominable Spirit. In some way, Power Rangers embodied some of those things as well and Jason was part of that franchise for a LONG time. He's so synonymous with it, it's hard to believe he wasn't introduced until the "Green with Evil" story arc. 
With all this in mind, his passing away just didn't make sense. The only other bit of information that came out was that he was in the process of a divorce... but then again, just because these ideals are taught to us, doesn't mean it's always easy to put them in practice. They don't always prepare you for all the curveballs life throws at you.

Twitch is most likely the biggest name to come out of "so you think you can dance." The show started out as a dance version of "American Idol" but it quickly gained a huge following. All of us looked forward to seeing it every summer and finding out who "America's Favorite Dancer" would be that year. 
When Twitch first auditioned, he missed the cut for the top 20 at the final stage. The following year, he made it all the way to second place. Joshua, the winner, won a role in the latest Step Up movie, but kinda like what happened on season 8 of American Idol, everyone kinda forgot who actually won. 
Not only was Twitch a regular on SYTYCD as an All-Star and, ultimately, a judge on this year's season (judging from how badly hardcore fans reacted to all the changes, it might sadly be the last we'll see of the show)
. He also became Ellen's sidekick and DJ on her talk show over the last several years.
This guy was always full of energy, full of joy. Seeing him go out like this, again, we're left with a lot of questions that'll probably go unanswered. 

Mental health is a very complicated thing. Every person being different means that there is no "one-size-fits-all" approach to it. It's easy enough to say to check in on your friends and family and tell them you love them. But sometimes it isn't always enough. 
If we can take anything away from these two individuals, whatever stigma surrounding mental health discussions or treatments needs to stop. Even if doing so doesn't help everyone struggling with these issues, there's still plenty of people that could benefit from it and that makes it worth the fight.

Kirstie Alley and Bob Saget


Two more passings that came out of nowhere. And two individuals that gave me a lot of joy growing up.
"America's Funniest Videos" was introduced to the world a year or so after I was. Next to MTV, it was one of my favorite things to watch. Then later on, Full House became one of my favorite shows. People nowadays make fun of its humor or the fact any conflict is resolved in half an hour... but I still enjoyed every minute of it. 

Kirstie Alley, she was in two of my favorite movies as a kid.
 
"Look who's talking now" where the two dogs are voiced by Danny Devito and Diane Keaton. The movie had me at talking dogs, but when I think about it now, the fact John Travolta spurned the advances of his hot female boss and remained eternally loyal to his wife is worth celebrating. Too many times in movies have husbands and boyfriends fallen victim to affairs because someone newer, younger and hotter came along.

"It takes two"... we grew up with a lot of Olsen Twins movies and this was our first. She's a social worker that develops a close bond with one of the twins that's in the foster system. She winds up getting involved in the twins' match-making scheme, the main storyline of the whole movie, but the strength and determination of her character... nobody could have played Diane Barrows but her. 

Both movies, I can't remember the last time i saw them. Hopefully next year I'll get that chance to get reacquainted.

Also- little known fact- she also played Vanessa Bartholomew. Prince's Symbol album had (big emphasis on HAD) a storyline involving the three chains of Turin, a budding relationship with the Princess of Cairo and an ambitious reporter trying to reach him for answers regarding all of the above.
In the final release, she's only present on two segue tracks. There was also a "three chains o' gold" short film that was released and she appears briefly in the beginning. Right before Prince and the NPG launch into "My Name is Prince." 

No comments: