Monday, January 11, 2016

2016 Golden Globes

Despite the fact I am VERY out of my depth with the majority of the nominations, this was definitely a fun Golden Globes to watch.
To save myself some scrolling and a lot of trouble later, I muted a bunch of Twitter handles I follow that would be doing a play-by-play. Why bother if I'm watching the same thing?
However, that didn't stop me from checking with my friend Drew on Facebook and commenting/liking his play-by-play. Not sure how many winners he picked, but at the end, it's a good thing he didn't bet money :P
I wouldn't even bet money on the Oscars even if I was confident because my confidence isn't always rewarded :P

I knew for a lot of the TV awards that there'd be a lot of "who is that?" and "I never heard of this"... but after reading a couple articles, I was getting a vibe that were confirmed by trophies.
This didn't just happen in TV, by the way. But while on the subject, after that Amazon series "Mozart in the Jungle" won favorite TV comedy series, I had a feeling that the lead actor  Gael Garcia Bernal would win too.
Limited series/TV movie I wanted to give to "American Horror Story" simply cuz of Gaga's involvement- but it went to something from PBS called "Wolf Hall"... that was a real WTF moment for me because I had no idea what it was. I figured after last year that "Fargo" could repeat itself.

One thing a lot of people take away from this awards show is the fact everyone is trashed and super casual and of course there are memorable speeches because of this.
One we couldn't help laughing at was Rachel Bloom winning for "My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"... another series I don't watch, but you'd think she was in character the entire time she was speaking (assuming she is the crazy ex in the series). She was speaking a million miles an hour :P considering the time limit people have, it's great to see someone try to beat the clock.
She did not, but valiant effort.

Great to see Jon Hamm finally win for "Mad Men." I saw maybe one episode and I did not care for it. But I know that this was the last shot he had to win for it and a lot of people were gunning for it. The same thing happened for "Breaking Bad" a few Globes ago.

I said in my nominations entry (I also noticed that I'd rarely do a Globes nomination and awards entry the same year- usually I do one or the other) that I was super excited for two people to possibly win.
And both of them did.

Oscar Isaac, who was nominated previously for "Inside Llewyn Davis," won for the HBO mini-series "Show Me a Hero."
Just thinking back on it now, I'm still screaming and jumping for joy about it :D
Not just patting myself on the back for actually watching this series in its entirety, despite not being the most politically inclined/enthusiastic individual. But also because this is good exposure for him- a really talented actor not a lot of people know yet.
And he gave the best shortest speech where his biggest thanks came to the widow of the character he played. Never lose that humility, dude!
My friend Drew posted he didn't know who he is but said he was hot. I commented a couple sentences of his credits that I've seen ;) Gotta get the word out.

Then Lady Gaga winning for "American Horror Story: Hotel"... I didn't expect it, but also kinda did because "why nominate her if she's not a shoe-in?" First of all, she looked bombshell amazing. She was definitely throwing back to Marilyn Monroe with that look. And like a lot of first timers, she was blown-away and weak in the knees about it. Thanked pretty much everyone in her speech except for her fiancé Taylor Kinney :P

Viola Davis also looked amazing in her heavily sequined ball gown, but she didn't win

:( Taraji P. Henson did for "Empire." But the moment Cookie started handing out cookies, my disappointment was all but forgotten. Not to mention her speech was bad-ass and one of the most enjoyable of the night. As long as one of them won, it would be a good night.

Another surprise of the night, I thought, were the wins for "Mr. Robot." It's a USA series. I've heard of it, but know nothing about it other than Christian Slater being it. Since he's come to my attention, he'd been in 2-3 other series that didn't get past their first season. "Breaking In" I enjoyed a lot... and Fox ruined by recruiting Megan Mullaly to join the cast.
"Human Target" had the same issue when they introduced two female characters. It didn't ruin the series as bad, but it never picked up the old momentum. Did they do it for diversity? Even though I'm female myself, I didn't appreciate the add-in's just for the sake of diversity or pulling in more demographics... if there's a good chemistry with the original cast ["Human Target" had three main guys], that's something you just can't mess with... still a little sore about those series ending. "Human Target" especially. Guerrero (Jackie Earle Haley) was one of the coolest TV characters I've ever watched.
So the fact "Mr. Robot" won for best drama and Christian Slater for best actor... that's good news for him and the show ;) about freaking time.

And Rob Lowe got snubbed, which makes me happy... the success of "The Grinder" still baffles me.

Now I think I can move onto movies...

Kate Winslet was the first winner of the night for "Steve Jobs"- one of two awards it brought home. (Aaron Sorkin, as I had suspected, got the other for writing... I'm surprised it and the Danish Girl weren't nominated for best picture despite all the acting nods).
I heard she was brilliant in it, so I wasn't surprised she won. Checking her profile, this is her 4th win of 11 nominations. But she seemed blown away based on the others she was up against in the supporting category.

Denzel Washington won the Cecil B. DeMille award and rightfully so. Tom Hanks had it right when he said greatness sometimes only needs one name. :P and seeing him up there with his family where he was finding it hard to put words together... that's the mark of a great character. People say he's so great, but he's as human as the rest of us.
And of course this reminded me I should probably see more of his movies. So far, I'd just seen "Glory" and "Remember the Titans."

"Inside Out" won for best Animated movie- definitely wasn't surprised about that. (My sister was gunning for the Peanuts movie cuz she saw it). And of course I regret not seeing it because it's gonna win the Oscar in all likelihood.

Sam Smith's Bond theme "Writing on the wall" won best original song. I wanted "Love me like you do" because it was one of my favorite songs last year... but I was really happy for him to win this. I was a skeptic at first because he felt a lot like the male Adele- a rich voice from England that does nothing but break-up songs. (That's the big reason why I can't really consider myself a big Adele fan- I can't live in that sphere of depressing songs forever, it'd kill me). But "Not the only one" slowly turned me around. And hearing "Stay with me" (despite my initial annoyance with the layered gospel backing vocals and the fact he's whining about a one-night stand had me questioning the legitimacy of its emotion) on "The Mindy Project" kinda won me over.

There were some funny moments presenting where the actors/directors were talking about the nominated movies.
Jason Statham getting his rage out one of the writers while apologizing to Melissa McCarthy about claiming he was playing the lead role.
And Ryan Gosling fake-fuming at Brad Pitt because he had to share the stage with him-- hey, I'm with you on that :P I like both of them, but it kinda doesn't seem fair they needed both of them for this.
Despite the almighty power of Brad Pitt, though, "The Big Short" got shorted on awards by getting zero...  the guy behind "Anchor Man" might be behind it, but I can't see it (or "Joy" or "The Martian" being comedies... something the actors didn't fail to bring up multiple times).

Great to see J-Law win another award, but I was kinda hoping Amy Schmur would to get some new blood into the Hollywood Foreign Press.
I also hoped "Trainwreck" would win as well... I didn't see it, but all the accolades had me questioning the fact I didn't.



I don't question "The Martian" simply because everyone said it was a really good movie. But it's not something I can get excited about. For me, space movies needs an element of fantasy and legit comedy for me to have interest... why else would I like "Star Wars" and "Guardians of the Galaxy"? Yet have no interest in this, "Interstellar" or "Gravity."
That inkling I had earlier about "Mozart in the Jungle"- I was starting to get it for "The Martian."

I'd seen Matt Damon nominated two other times without him winning. One of them was the year RDJ won- my first time watching the Globes- and his lead-in was his wife telling him Matt Damon was going to win. (The past couple years, I've ended Globes night by revisiting a series of clips of RDJ's triumphant Globes night in 2010... this year, I didn't do that... nothing to do with him. My head was in another of my interests and I didn't feel like jumping ship for the sake of a silly little quasi-tradition of mine).
The other nomination was for "Behind the Chandlebra"- Tina Fey & Amy Poehler referred to him as "The garbage man" because he was nominated for a made-for-TV movie :P and even Michael Douglas, who won for playing Liberace, said he should have won.
So seeing Matt Damon win was a nice change of pace- and he gave a great speech and showed a lot of humility. Particularly since he hadn't won since "Good Will Hunting"- for a co-writing credit.

Ricky Gervais joked about him being the one person Ben Affleck hadn't cheated on... which was one of a few laughs I had with him that night. Which by my "standards" is crazy. I'd been pissed at him since his RDJ Betty Ford comment when he hosted a couple years ago. And no, "everyone else had done it" isn't a good excuse...
But I suppose if I can like James Spader in an 80's movie, there's a chance Ricky Gervais could make me laugh. This world's a crazy place where pretty much anything can happen.

Even Leo maybe getting an Oscar...
but I think the other movies "The Revenant" was up against were kinda weak and didn't have enough publicity behind them to make an impact.
"Spotlight" had the man/woman power in the casting, but took nothing home. And it seems like a legitimately important film that needs the attention.
"Carol" got a lot of good press, but maybe not enough support from the people that matter in these situations.
"Mad Max: Fury Road" (RDJ might consider it a victory that Mel Gibson got an invitation, if only to introduce a prequel in an old franchise of his... because he'd been wanting "Hollywood to forgive Mel" for a couple years now)... I want to see it just to justify whether it's worth the hype, but I highly doubted it'd win.
"Room" didn't get a lot of press... but after reading the book jacket last week, it didn't surprise me that it was considered and that Brie Larson won for best actress... at the time of the nominations, I really thought anyone else would have won.

Of course everyone was saying Leo would won (I thought for sure it'd be Eddie Redmayne- for being transgender or Michael Fassbender- for being a scary good Steve Jobs) and the whole night seemed to be building up to that.
He gave probably the longest speech. A good speech. Then the air in the room got heavy when he pushed his political agenda long after his time was up and went on too long.

Which brings me to a point I've wanted to make for a while...
Why are people so hard on celebrities using their platform for an agenda? Or want to spend their money and use their image to promote something humanitarian?
I would understand the unease/balking if it was ALL they did. But it almost feels like that's frowned upon- whereas if someone famous wastes their money on drugs and hookers, shoulders are shrugged and nobody thinks twice.

With Leo, I thought he was great up until those last 30 seconds.
When your time is up, your time is up. Going long to promote something else, something potentially polarizing, it makes you seem... I don't know... insincere, maybe. As if he knew he had a captive audience, so he needed to give his 2 cents on something.
It makes about as much sense of everyone cursing last night... you guys know this going to be broadcast on NBC, so it feels disrespectful to us...cuz we're missing out on all the good stuff!

Another standing ovation of the night was Sylvester Stallone winning for "Creed" the only award it was nominated for... that was unexpected, the degree of respect in the room despite all the people over the years who made fun of the way he talks.
One thing I did notice, though, and Samuel L Jackson tweeted about it... he didn't mention Michael B. Jordan in his speech among the people he wanted to thank.
Now that doesn't seem fair- he's the star of this new movie and, again repeating myself, everyone's saying how good he is and I'm thinking why wasn't he nominated... eliminating the competition so Leo can win an Oscar?

I dunno... everyone's pushing so hard for Leo to finally win that it's starting to suffocate me.
Yes, I really like him and I still do.
My only reservation is that he does a lot of movies I have no interest in seeing. All of them seem very dramatic and dark... I'm just saying I'd kill to see him in a comedy... just once... and hopefully by then he won't be Robert DeNiro's age where he's no longer devilishly handsome.
So far, I'd just seen Titanic (which I can't ever see again because it's too long and I can't survive seeing him die again), Catch Me if You Can (which I enjoyed, but it's not good for repetitious watching), The Aviator (which I ought to see again cuz I don't remember it well- other than one scene he as Howard Hughes seemed to be losing his mind in his solitude)... then there are two movies I enjoyed and he happened to be in them. "The Great Gatsby" (despite all the Buz Luhrumann craziness) and "Inception" (where Joseph Gordon-Levitt was the real scene-stealer)... those I can watch multiple times and enjoy each time.

The Revenant seems like another of those movies, despite how everyone says it's great and Leo is great in it... it just looks like it's difficult to get through. The drama of it and the starkness of it... that's not why I go to the movies, people.


I'd rather waste my money on "Ride Along 2" and "How to Be Single"... both of them look stupid funny, but I might have them enjoyable.

No comments: