Surely, I won't be in alone in this, but speaking as one of this man's biggest fans, it's something I can't not do.
It feels like just yesterday when RDJ was 45 (going on 46) and "Less than Zero" kinda changed my life... when I went from being a huge fan to attaining fangirl status.
Today, he's turning FIFTY.
So why not be totally cliché and list 50 amazing things about him? And I will do my best to be original... not just focusing on the physical things, but going for the deep stuff. What sets him apart for me as someone generally crazy about actors, but also what makes him an amazing person.
Believe it or not, coming up with 50 things wasn't easy, but I managed.
1) He gets better with age... not just his good looks, but his acting has even improved.
2) His wife, Susan Downey, is his secret weapon. An amazing movie producer and partner.
3) He can make a bad movie worth watching until the end... because he makes you care about what's going to happen to him.
- "Less than Zero" looked like it was going to be one of those John Hughes type 80's movies... after we got to know the characters and such, the plot stalled for a bit and the focus shifted to numerous scenes involving Andrew McCarthy and Jami Gertz messing around. If not for Julian, I wouldn't have stuck around for the ending. ...incidentally, I stuck it out through the credits because I was still getting over the shock of it.
-even with him involved, I still didn't think "U.S. Marshalls," "Air America" or "Bowfinger" were great movies... and in the case of "Wonder Boys," he was the one character in the movie I didn't like... oddly enough
4) When he gets a role, he really does his homework
-while Richard Attenborough searched for a studio to host "Chaplin," Robert went to "every autobiographical source" and spent 18 months in research mode
5) When he auditions for a role he really wants, he aims to nail the screen test to the point where it's virtually impossible to cast anyone else
6) He has an AMAZING singing voice
7) He's one of the few actors who'd released an album of well-written ORIGINAL material